Thursday, August 3, 2017

Week 1

Hey guys. 

So this has been a crazy week. We all decided that we got here a month ago. Im really not sure where to start. 

I think the reason you couldn't find my companion is because I spelled his name wrong. It's actually Zach Jarvies. He is district leader so I have been going to the meetings and stuff with him. This is his first time leaving Colorado/Utah. I kinda took him out of his comfort zone and explore the area a little yesterday. We went to the supermarket and I bought a bag to use while Im in the CCM.

When I signed up for Rosetta stone I selected a 3 month subscription, so I don't think you need to cancel it. But it might be good to check the website. Spanish is hard, but I think I might figure it out by the time I'm coming home. So we're just doing the thing where we prepare a talk every week, and then they just choose someone to talk randomly. So I didn't talk last week but I might soon. Its crazy how much progress Ive already made with spanish. We cant speak any English until noon everyday, and obviously any time we leave the building.

Our schedules are packed here. We get up at 6:30 every morning and then we go to breakfast at 7. Daily planning is at 7:30 and personal study is at 8:00. We usually have class from 9 to 1 and then we eat lunch, go back to class from 2 to 5. 5 to 6 is for physical activity. We played basketball once, which was actually kind of fun, but we usually play soccer. My district is full of soccer players. Elder Jones won state cup in Wyoming this year, and elder Davis won in Colorado. One of our teachers played for atletico Madrid when he was younger. We go to this place called the pit to play. It looks like the dirt fields kids were playing on in the brazil world cup, except it is basically in a big cage. Anyway, back to the schedule, we have dinner at 6:30 and then we go to class from 7:30 to 9, and we have to be in bed with lights out at 10:30.

We get one hour to write emails on p-days, but we can read them anytime. Like I read the ones you sent me right away. Im not really sure what I want to do for the big list of emails. I dont know what to say to everybody.

They told us to tell you that if you want to send a package now, you should send it to the mission home. By the time it makes it through customs I'll be in the field. I think Amazon prime should be fine to send to the ccm though. I had to buy some more socks because the CCM president doesnt think interesting socks are mission appropriate, but the teachers told me to hold on to the fun ones because president Pack is more lenient.

Saturday was a ton of fun at Retiro Park. We get different companions every week for this, so I was with Elder Coulibaly from portugal. We got on the metro at 9am and tried to talk to everybody we saw on the way there. We were able to give one guy a Book of Mormon, and one the teachers that went with us got a picture of me handing it to the guy and they have the pic on the wall here now. So thats pretty cool. Once we got there we talked to people until 12 and then we went and sang by a big fountain. This is what you saw on the facebook page. Me and elder coulibaly broke off from the group and gave out 2 more books. That park makes every other park Ive ever been to look stupid, even central park wasnt as cool. 

Today we went to the royal palace, and its probably 10 times the size of the scottish one, if not bigger. I got some really cool pictures that I will attach. The one that im in isnt very good, but I figured you might fly over here and kill me if I didnt send you at least one with me in it. We couldnt go inside but we went around the gardens. Next we went to a cathdral, and it was massive. I didnt take any pictures because i was so focused on exploring everything. Im going to try to get some from everybody else though. It was a lot like the one we went to in England. Then we grabbed some gellato and hiked up to an egyptian temple. The city reminds me of London. The buildings are very similar. KFC and Wendys are huge here, and McDelivery is a thing. 

I also attached a picture we took on the bus from the airport to the CCM. Its not the best but I thought you might want it. Next week Ill have a picture of me with Presidente Packer and Hermana Packer(CCM president and wife). We took some pictures with our district but they ended up weird because everyone is scared to get anywhere near the sisters. Ill send those next week too. During our orientation the president sent the hermanas into the hallway and told all of the guys that if he even thought we were flirting, he would dropkick us to cambodia (his words not mine). He spent 20 minutes talking about that so he seems pretty serious. 

We went to the temple last thursday, which was awesome. Its easily the prettiest one Ive seen. Its alot bigger than I thought. The spire is as tall as the CCM, which is 7 stories. were going again later today

I do like the soccer updates, we talk about it a lot here. People take that stuff seriously. I heard the neymar thing happened and that the U.S. won the gold cup. 

Ok. Im running out of time, but I want to know how your NY trip went, and Ill be watching for the emails fom the girls. 


Talk to you next week






No comments:

Post a Comment