Thursday, August 17, 2017

Week 3

Hey,

      So this one will be a little shorter today. We had some problems with our excursion.
     
      We had a crazy day. We went to a town called Alcala Herenesa. It was a really cool little town known for one thing, I guess the author of Don Quijote lived there. The whole city had statues of him and souvenir shops where you could buy windmills and donkeys. I got some spanish horchata, which is really different. On our way back somebody jumped in front of the train, so we got stuck for a while. The train ride was supposed to be about 30 minutes, but we ended up taking an hour on a bus and half an hour on the metro to get back to the CCM. It's been an adventure. We definately got a taste of the real spain today.

      This saturday was a rough one at the park. We were only able to talk to one couple. Everyone else ran from us. After 3 hours of being told no we decided we would just try to explore the park. We found these bridges that remind me of tarzans treehouse in disneyland, thenwe found a cool gated area that was like a flower maze. We got stuck in there for a while. It was a long, discouraging day, but I know there will be more of those. We just made it fun towards the end. Sundays are my favorite day of the week. We have more time for personal study, then we have 2 devotionals, church, and choir practice. I know you guys are going to laugh because I never would have said this before, but the best part of the day is when we sing in front of the temple. Every sunday, all 60 of us go downstairs to the steps in front of the temple, and we sing hymns in 3 different languages. While we're doing that the teachers stop people that pass by and offer to give them a tour of the temple grounds. 

      We have had 10 brazilians with us for the last 3 weeks, but they all left on tuesday because they're native speakers. So they're in Cape Verde and Lisbon now. But monday night was the most exciting, stressful night ever. We are all really excited, but we also realized how fast time is going by now, and that's gonna be us in no time. IDK if I'm ready for that yet. I mentioned earlier that we sing in different languages, one of them was portuguese. I know called to serve in portuguese by heart now. In fact, I probably learned way more portuguese than I ever needed to since I'm in spain. Dad's gonna love this. We're replacing portuguese with russian this week. The replacements came in tuesday night, and we have 14 russian speakers, 2 are natives.  They're all going to the Ukraine. So sunday night we will sing called to serve in russian, but thats gonna be tough cause I dont know how to read the lyrics.

      We watched a provo devotional from Elder Holland on thursday, and I think that was a turning point for everybody here. I'm not going to be able to do it justice in this short amount of time, but I wanted to share at least a little bit. He told a story about his son in law who is a heart surgeon. He said he had to do 20 years of school before he actually performed his first surgery. And even after all of that school, he didnt feel ready, and his patient's family was nervous. It is a lot of pressure, but really if he messed up, there is a life after earth for that patient. Everything would be OK. That surgeon had 20 years of school and all that pressure for one part of a bigger plan, but we have 6 weeks to prepare for the salvation of the people of spain. I think we all realized what were really doing here. This is kind of a big deal. The overall mood of the CCM has shifted this week, and It's pretty awesome. 

     I'll send you more next week. This has been a week full of spiritual experiences, but I dont want to hurry and cram them in since I only had 12 minutes to write this. I want to hear more about emma's blessing, Mom's talk and sheridan's farewell. Dad, how is the new(ish) job? And I cant remember when school starts, but the girls need to keep me updated. I got the fedex package on tuesday, so that worked pretty well. I did get the pics of my long hair. Thank you for that. Everyone loved those. 

Talk to you next week, 


Josh




No comments:

Post a Comment